Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction is an evidence based approach to self-care that can assist in managing stress, exhaustion, vicarious trauma and burnout. The practice of mindfulness is used to help health care professionals learn to pay attention to body sensations, thoughts, and emotions in a nonjudgmental way.
Through the practice of mindfulness, we have the opportunity to explore our inner world of mind/body, recognize and mobilize our inner psychological resources and take better care of ourselves. Mindfulness facilitates clarity. This helps health care professionals to be responsive rather than reactive to stressful situations. The end result is that healthcare professionals realize that they have choice. Mindfulness is a powerful tool that can help to instill feelings of calmness, improved concentration and focus, true listening, less reactivity, neutrality, and increased compassion for oneself and for others.
This eight-week program offers the curriculum and methodology developed by Jon-Kabat Zinn, taught at the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Participants are asked for commitment to attend all sessions and engage in daily practice.
This Course Offers
- Eight weekly classes (2.5 hrs each) plus an all-day silent retreat during the sixth week of the course on a Saturday
- Available in-person or via Ontario Telemedicine Network (OTN)
- Intensive training in mindfulness meditation (E.g. Body Scan, Sitting, Walking, Eating, and Gentle Yoga/ Body Movement)
- Daily homework, including a minimum of daily at-home meditation practice (45 minutes a day)
- Individual/group dialogue and inquiry
- Educational and interactive discussions on mindfulness and its application in health care
- A strongly supportive community with future mindfulness events throughout the year
Potential Opportunities and Cost
The cost of this course is $475 and this includes 31 hours of instruction, practice recordings, written instruction and a certificate of completion. Part of the tuition ($200) will be reimbursed by Living Healthy Northeast with successful completion of the course.
Gary Petingola MSW, RSW and Sheila Damore-Petingola MSW, RSW
Mindfulness On The Rocks: Meditation Solutions for Maximum Life Impact